Tenant Information


We require the applicant to inspect the property before applying. Any person over 18 years of age who will be residing in the property must complete an application form. Your application will be processed and depending on how quickly we are able to get in contact with your referees this maybe between 24-48 hours. When applying for a rental property you will need to provide formal identification. These may include: driver’s licence, Medicare card or passport. Evidence of employment will also be required in the form of a contract from your employer or pay slips along with references to support your reliability as a tenant.  Please be aware there maybe other applicants applying for the same property, therefore the more information you provide our office with your initial application the more appealing you will be for the landlord, as they make the final decision on who leases their property.

 Lease Agreement

Once your application for a property is accepted you will be asked to sign a lease (also known as a residential tenancy agreement) before you can move in. A lease is a legal contract between tenants and landlords for which there is no cooling off period. You will be offered a fixed term lease, this type of lease is usually for 6 or 12 months. Once the initial agreed lease term expires you may be offered a new fixed term lease or it may roll over to a periodic lease.

We will make a time for you to come into our office where you will receive all the information and sign the residential tenancy agreement.  You will be required to pay your first two weeks rent.  Please allow enough time for this appointment to enable our staff to go over the details of the agreement with you, for you to read it in full and have any questions answered to ensure you understand your obligations as a tenant.  Alternate arrangements can be made if you are unable to come into the office during business hours.


You will be required to pay a bond before moving into a rental property. A bond is a monetary amount that acts as security for the landlord in case you fail to meet the terms of the lease agreement. If you vacate the property and leave behind damage or a mess or fail to pay your rent the landlord may claim some or all of the bond to cover their costs. Your bond is to be a Bank Cheque or Money Order, made payable to the RTBA (Residential Tenancies Bond Authority). The bond money is held in trust by the Residential Tenancies Bond Authority (RTBA).  The bond amount will be confirmed upon being approved for a property.

Collecting the Keys

On the commencement of your lease and collection of the keys we require a further two weeks rent.  Keith Williams Real Estate partner with Re Connect, this is the preferred payment option for our clients. Tenants register with Re Connect to make their rental payments.  This is a free service with no fees or charges when you sign up to pay your rent by direct debit.  Our office would be more than happy to assist you with setting up this facility for you.  Please be aware with your initial setup to allow three business days for direct debit payments to be cleared funds into our trust account.


Condition Report

A condition report is provided at the commencement of the tenancy that includes the general condition of the property; including fittings, fixtures and any existing damage present upon moving in.  Our agency will send you an email containing a link to the condition report that is to be completed electronically by you (the tenant).  There will be instructions and prompts along the way for you to check and make any relevant changes within the required time frame. The condition report includes photographs that have been taken of the property prior to the lease commencement and a report outlining the current condition of the property. These photographs are then used at the end of your tenancy during the final inspection; therefore it is important that you complete this report. If you (the tenant) do not have an email address to receive this electronically, you will be provided two printed hard copies instead of the emailed link, with one copy to be fully signed and returned to our office to be kept on file.


Urgent repairs such as burst water service, blocked toilet, roof or gas leaks, electrical faults and storm damage must be attended to immediately. Non urgent repairs should be put in writing.  The landlord has 14 days to carry them out. If the damage was caused by yourself then you may be liable for covering the cost of repairs.

If you are renting a property through Keith Williams Real Estate and have a repair please call 5174 7777 or complete our online service.  For all “after hours urgent maintenance” please phone 03 9909 0611.

We suggest that you do not use our online service to report any urgent maintenance the after hours number should be called which will be sent direct to our Property Manager on call.

For a full list of what constitutes urgent repairs please visit www.consumer.vic.gov.au/renting.

Vacating Advice

The minimum amount of time required for giving notice that you will be vacating a property is usually 28 days, however under certain circumstances this can be 14 days. Please see www.consumer.vic.gov.au/renting for current laws about vacating laws. Your landlord must give you a ‘Notice to Vacate’ form in person or via registered post if they are ending the tenancy before the agreed time. The minimum notice period can vary depending on circumstances – check www.consumer.vic.gov.au/renting for full details.

Our office requires a fully signed vacating form which is to be signed by all tenants that are on the lease agreement.

We partner with “on the move” who offer a FREE and easy utility connection service.  They specialise in connecting and disconnecting utilities such as electricity, gas, water, telephone, internet and more.  Please find their moving house checklist which may help make your move smoother and more efficient https://www.onthemove.com.au/moving-home-checklist


Q&A – Heritage Space Heaters

All Victorians with a Vulcan Heritage or a Pyrox Heritage gas space heater in their home need to get them checked by a qualified gasfitter immediately.
Click here for more information 

Other Useful Links

Bin Replacement Gippsland Water_Leak Allowance Application